Friday, February 9, 2007

What does it mean to teach? or to implement a course?

As we discussed on Tuesday, teaching is about passion. The development stage of a course involves the process of determining what it is that learners need to know. We find the right resources, we look at different types of ideas, media, etc.

The implementation stage, however, is where all the fun occurs. It is at this level that a teacher is able to make the learning meaningful for the learners. This is where we can experiment with different approaches to make the content come alive - through lecturing, group work, learning activities, assignments, reflection, and more. Konrad Glogowski recently shared his views of learning and passion, essentially stating that a teacher must always be a learner. What are your thoughts? How are you being a learner while you are teaching?

4 comments:

Donna said...

I enjoyed that reading - I want to send it to my daughters' classroom teachers - who seem to be unable to inspire!!

It also reminds me of emergent curriculum that I practice in Early Childhood - picking up a spark of interest and providing the tools for the children to explore and learn. I learn a great deal by observing the play and activity.

Unknown said...

I do agree with what was discussed in the reading. It is very important to relate what the student should learn to why it is important and how it relates to them at that moment. If they cannot see the relation it is very hard to inspire them.

Annette@ACC said...

Thought provoking article. He shares an interesting approach to inspiring his students and as noted in one of the responses, “he models learning for them.” Depending on the learner this approach might certainly spark a yearning to gain knowledge using a more creative and interactive approach.

As I reflect on my past teaching experience, my role as an instructor encompassed learning while actively listening to the students’ opinions and thoughts. They brought a vast amount of knowledge with them so it helped me determine what direction to take with the content. Providing learner centered classes also allowed me the opportunity to learn from their experiences and questions. I also learned by observing the dynamics of the class, along with the interaction and participation that was or wasn’t occurring. As I got to know the students and their learning styles, I had to create new techniques to generate a better learning environment. It goes without saying that introducing new research into the class demonstrated being a learner while teaching.

Jennifer said...

I am just starting to understand the relationship of inspiring passion in students and finding relevence in course material. I want to be a teacher that demonstrates passion and inspires learning - how to accomplish that with my course material? Well that's a where the work is...